Friday, August 29, 2008

I'll get a female cat and "Annoushka" to my heart's content


My first alarm clock (of four, in case you were wondering) will go off in exactly 3 hours and 31 minutes. I may or may not wake up to it (or the three that will follow). Not only is the stifling heat in a house with a broken-down air conditioner a bit too much to fall asleep to, I also stayed up much too late reading a frilly, teenage-girly book about an exiled Russian countess hiding as a servant in England. Of course, there is the inevitable falling in love with a handsome man. What can I say? My taste in reading never quite "grew up." I will always find children's and young adult books much more interesting than grown up books. This one was full of wonderful bits of Russian: dousha...mylienkaya...Annoushka. I loved it. In fact, I am now possessed by an overwhelming desire to name a daughter of mine Anna, just so I can call her Annoushka. Although, I think that in revealing this, I just condemned myself to a life of daughter-less spinsterhood. So be it. I'll get a female cat and Annoushka to my heart's content.

1 comment:

Robbio said...

Boxcar Children ruled!