Wednesday, April 11, 2007

from the cynic

a man who knew of my background in art asked me tonight if i have done anything creative this week. i sheepishly admitted that, no, i have not. he was dumbfounded: "but i thought you did lots of artsy type things...don't you?" when our conversation ended, i began thinking back over the last four months that i have lived in kansas city, and i realized that in all this time, i have produced only one moderately creative project - a purse. while there are many valid excuses that i could give myself for taking a break from making things, i simply will not let myself go there. to create things brings joy into my life and i have not been fulfilling my need to create. last weekend i wanted to begin a quilt - went to the fabric store - stood there in front of hundreds of beautiful fabric selections - and left again having bought nothing because i just could not decide on a color scheme for the quilt. maybe i'll try again tomorrow night. because the next time he asks that question, i want to be able to respond with excitement over my latest project.

"the opposite of creativity is cynicism." ~ esa saarinen

No comments: